We currently have 12 Health and Vision events scheduled for San Francisco and hope to provide 800 pairs of prescription glasses at these events. The San Francisco events are being held in partnership with SF CARES (Welcome, St. Paulus Lutheran Church, the Night Ministry and the Faithful Fools Street Ministry), Project Homeless Connect's Every Day Connect (EDC) and congregations throughout San Francisco.
We are also working with the Lions Club, to to provide individuals living 200% below the poverty level with prescription glasses at private events at clinics, non-profits and city agencies that serve our target population. Individuals are also able to sign up for glasses during one-on-one appointments with Welcome and EDC.
Number of prescription glasses fulfilled to date: 123
Welcome can provide homeless and low income individuals prescription glasses for an average of $50/person. Can you help us reach our goal to provide glasses to those in need? Please donate here and share this cause with others on your social network!
- January 18, 2014 - 1751 Sacramento St, Old First Presbyterian Church, San Francisco's Polk Gulch District
- February 22, 2014 - 152 Church St, St. Francis Lutheran Church, San Francisco's Castro District
- March 8, 2014 - Santa Maria y Martha Lutheran Church, San Francisco's Mission District
- April 12, 2014 - Grace Lutheran Church, San Francisco's Sunset District
- May 24, 2014 - First United Lutheran/St. Cyprian's Episcopal, San Francisco's Western Addition
- June 12, 2014 - TBA, San Francisco's Bayview District
- Hear stories and see pictures from our Decmeber 19th event:
December 19, 2013 - 1751 Sacramento St, Old First Presbyterian Church, San Francisco's Polk Gulch District Results: 45 individuals were connected to prescription eye glasses, 40 had their portraits taken by photographer Vince Donovan, 21 individuals visited nurses, 15 people got follow up appointments with social workers at Project Homeless Connect's Every Day Connect, 11 people signed up for Assurance cell phones, others learned about the upcoming changes to health insurance, received lunch, socks, chocolate and clothing.
- Hear stories and see pictures from our November 10th event:
November 10, 2013 - 1541 Polk St, St. Paulus Lutheran Church, San Francisco's Polk Gultch District Results: 22 individuals connected to glasses with Project Homeless Connect, 18 individuals see nurses and get their blood pressure checked, 3 individuals get flu shots from Walgreens.